Getting a new IllumiDesk account with the
staff role is the first step to getting IllumiDesk setup with your Canvas LMS instance. Once you have access to this account, you can then create the OAuth2 application and integrate IllumiDesk with your Canvas LMS.
User accounts with the
staff role are associated to the application that authenticates to your Canvas environment. In other words, the IllumiDesk OAuth2 application conducts operations on behalf of the user account with the staff role. The IllumiDesk OAuth2 application thus has permissions to create other sub-accounts, such as student, teacher, and teacher assistant accounts.
LTI and OAuth2
IllumiDesk applications authenticate to the Canvas LMS using OAuth credentials. OAuth is the same standard that powers the ubiquitous
Sign in with <insert social auth button here>. The LTI standard leverages the OAuth standard to guarantee data integrity, authentication, authorization, and encryption via TSL.
Use the "Get Started" button below to request an account with the staff role permissions:
- An IllumiDesk team member receives a new account request and creates one with
staffprivileges within the IllumiDesk system.
- The IllumiDesk team member sends the account credentials to the new user.
- The user then logs into IllumiDesk to create their own unique OAuth2 application and then get the associated
Profile --> Settings --> OAuth2.
- The staff user adds the IllumIDesk
Appto the LMS course(s).
- Teachers, teachers assistants, and students can then interact with the IllumiDesk application from within the Canvas course and have IllumiDesk accounts created on the fly.
Creating New Accounts
To reiterate, new IllumiDesk accounts are created automatically. There is no need for users to enroll directly with the IllumiDesk service, these are created using the email address associated to their Canvas account.
IllumiDesk offers demo credentials to organizations along with a Canvas LMS sandbox that wish to use IllumiDesk on a trial basis.
Updated 4 months ago
|Step 2: Create a New Project|